While scrolling through my bog posts, I realized I haven’t written anything about me at all for such a long time. So I decided to share an interesting fact about me here today – I’m a LEFTIE. Yes I’m left-handed. I know there are lots of myths and facts out there about lefties so I’m sharing the ones that I think can relate to me today.
And also the International Left Handers’ Day is coming up. It’s celebrated every 13th of August.I f you’re a leftie too come celebrate it with us!
So we left-handed people live in a right-handed world. Everything from power tools to can openers, hole punchers and children’s desks are designed with the right-hander in mind. And we’ve also been outnumbered since prehistoric times!
And did you know that there are more left-handed men than women? Yes left-handed women are rare!
Here are a few more fascinating pieces of trivia related to being a lefty…
The Ultra-Rare Left-Handed Female
I’ve met more left-handed guys than girls (when you’re left-handed, it can be kind of a big deal to shake left hands with a comrade) and I have a left-handed brother.
Turns out, left-handed females are a much rarer breed than left-handed males. A meta analysis of 144 studies including more than 1.7 million total participants found a “significant and robust” gender correlation with handedness. According to the 2008 study, men have 1.23 times the odds of being left-handed, compared to women’s chances. Therefore, that would make the odds of being left-handed lady who marries a left-handed prince on the other side of the Atlantic pretty much mathematically impossible.
Scientific Left Handed Facts
• Make up between 5% and 10% of the population (depending on who you ask)
• More likely to have allergies
• More prone to migraines
• More likely to be insomniacs
• Use the right side of the brain the most
• More likely to be on extreme poles of the intelligence scale
• Tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right handers
• Twice as likely to be a man
• Better at 3D perception and thinking
• Better at multi-tasking
• Live on average 9 years less than right handed people
Interesting Left Handed Trivia
• Make especially good baseball players, tennis players, swimmers, boxers and fencers (almost 40% of the top tennis players are lefties)
• Celebrate left handed day once a year – August 13th – International Left Handers Day
• Draw figures facing to the right
• Recover from strokes faster
• More likely to pursue creative careers
• Of the seven most recent U.S Presidents, 4 have been left handed
• Left handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer than right handed graduates
• On a QWERTY keyboard there are 1447 English words typed solely with the left hand, whilst only 187 are typed with the right hand.
Bizarre Lefty Tidbits
• Adjust to seeing underwater quicker
• Less able to roll their tongue than a righty
• Nails grow faster on the left hand than the right
So there’s my list. I have also just joined The Left Handers Club and they have loads of interesting information about left-handedness as well as specially designed products for left-handers like me. If you are a fellow left-hander, It is completely free and you can join here.
If you are one of the exclusive 10%, please share this on your wall so your left-handed friends can see it too. Are you left-handed too? Comment below and let’s be friends! It would be nice to meet another leftie like me.