Pan-ay, originally called Bamban, was established in 1572. The first church, constructed in 1774 by Fr. Miguel Murguia, was heavily damaged by typhoon in 1875. The present church was constructed in 1884 under the direction of Fr. Jose Beloso who commissioned Don Juan Reine to cast a bell for the church from seventy sacks of coins donated by the townspeople. This bell, the biggest in the Philippines, measures seven feet in diameter, five feet in height and weighs 10,400 kilograms.
By virtue of NHI Board Resolution No. 3, S. 1997, this church is declared a National Historical Landmark.